The Telerobotic and Biorobotic Systems Group is directed by Dr. Mahdi Tavakoli in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department of the University of Alberta. We specialize in developing robots and telerobots for various medical/biomedical applications including surgery, therapy, rehabilitation, telehealth and telemedicine. Our group has three laboratories:
- CREATE Lab focusing on Collaborative, REhabilitation, and AssisTivE Robotics research,
- HANDS Lab focusing on Haptics AND Surgery research,
- SIMULAT-OR Lab as a SIMULATed Operating Room featuring a da Vinci Surgical System.
Overall, our robotics, telerobotics and biorobotics research aims to
- Develop new technologies for robot-assisted surgery, therapy, and rehabilitation,
- Develop human-robot interfaces that provide the sense of touch for the human,
- Develop image-guided robotic systems that guide tools inside a patient with superhuman precision.
These robotic technologies will make medical interventions more efficient and less traumatic and will also reduce the burden on the healthcare system.