Subject: Ether chips
From: Stephen Caplan <[email-masked]>
To: Paul Somogyi <[email-masked]>, K Hackett <[email-masked]>, Javan Gargus <[email-masked]>
Cc: Duncan Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 03:01:48 -0600

I've found two main sources for ethernet trancievers and chips.

The first are from national semiconductor, so we can probably get them
fairly easily if we want them.  The DP8390D is seen on most generic NE2000
network cards, it functions as a data link controller and handles manchester
decoding, CRC, collisions, carrier detect, framing and much more.  The
second is a little more basic.

  http://www.national.com/pf/DP/DP8390D.html
  http://www.national.com/pf/DP/DP8391A.html

Full PDF docs are available for both.

Also found a bunch of stuff from a company called SEEQ (ever heard of
them?).  Have a look at http://www.seeq.com/page1.shtml .  They have a full
range of things ethernet and loads of documentation to go along with it.

Even if we don't use any of the chips, there's probably enough information
here to help us do this ourselves.

-- 
Steve